Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Campaign Central
Lots of Demo hopefuls in the news… Bush secret agent and probable Pod Person Joe Lieberman is vigorously attacking Howard Dean and the potential shift away from mealy-mouthed Republican-appeasing in the Democratic ranks. Joe seems to think he's going to win over the pick-up truck reg'lar guy conservatives by being a less charismatic version of Bush. But wait, you may be saying, didn't WULAD express a similar viewpoint in its anti-Department of Peace piece of a few days ago? Sort of. The difference is that I want the potential candidates to stay away from unnecessarily flower-powery language and focus on the very solid grounds for regime-change-at-home. Lieberman actually is conservative in many ways, and doesn’t even want the Democrats thinking about progressive change, let alone talking about it.

There's also been a lot of buzz about an army guy nobody knows much about—the buzz is probably due to the fact that, well, he's an army guy, and presumably can't be accused of being anti-army. (Although it's interesting that while both of our most recent Commanders-in-Chief took steps to avoid military service, Clinton is considered a yellow-bellied draft-dodger, while Bush is a walking, talking G.I. Joe figurine, complete with flight suit. As my mother was fond of saying, "Don't these people remember that everybody was trying to get out of going to Vietnam?") I agree it might be nice to have somebody speaking for the left (a presumption, since he hasn't declared a party affiliation) who would counter the right-wing propaganda talking-point that questioning the administration's policies is unpatriotic and/or cowardly.

Wrapped Up Like A Governor
Amid all the madness surrounding the California recall election, it has been discovered that virtually anybody could be our next chief executive, from Arnold "I'm Detective John Kimball! I'm a cop, you idiot! Stop whining! I want to ask you a bunch of questions, and I want to have them answered immediately! You son of a bitch! Who is your daddy, and what does he do? But I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!" Schwarzenegger to Larry "Responsible for my Sexual Awakening" Flynt. Accordingly, WULAD has decided to begin a preliminary process to research and assess the potential creation of an organization to gauge the support for the possible formation of an exploratory committee to raise awareness and build a network for the conceivable campaign of WULAD to be a candidate for the next governor of the Great State of Iowa! California, I mean. Donations, in the form of money or liquor, will be accepted, and they are tax-deductible, in the sense that you will have less money left to pay taxes after you give some to me. Just drop me an e-mail and I'll forward your generous gift to the committee, which is currently chaired by my cat Babbaz, who is very good with money. Those donating $10 or more will receive a voucher good for one special pork-barrel favor, such as a veto or lucrative state contract. And may the best man or blog win!