Friday, January 06, 2006

I Like Blue Butts and I Cannot Lie
I've noticed that the following picture has been at or near the top of Yahoo's Most Popular index for a few weeks now, and I was a little perplexed by it:



It's a close-up, obviously, of a woman's blue butt. The story it purports to be associated with--"The School of Textiles and Design at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh have begun what is believed to be the world's first-ever study on how women's clothing affects the bottom"--really has no call for a picture of a g-stringed butt at all, but it seems that putting inappropriate photos along with wire stories is nothing new.

However, I was still perplexed by why the butt in question was blue--until I brought it into P-shop and inverted the colors:



Ah ha. Well, that would've been a bit much for a "legitimate" news story, I guess. But why not just find a less revealing photo, rather than turning the unsuspecting woman's booty into a color not found in nature, slapping an "(AFP/Illustration)" label on it, and assuming (get it? ass-uming?) that the unrealistic hues make it family-friendly? Why is it not ok to see a woman with a string up her butt in regular colors, but ok to see what appears to be a scandalous candid shot taken early in the career of Smurfette?

Anyway--the whole thing got me to thinking that maybe this method could be applied to more photos that could potentially upset you, the readers. So here are just a few to get the ball rolling on this new trend at sanitization-through-inversion...