Monday, August 20, 2007

WULAD Web Wround-Up

It's been a while since I did one of these. In fact, when last I checked, no one was reading anymore anyway! But that's OK, it takes away the pressure to produce quality material. Today, however, I will link to quality material, some of which I actually produced.

For those of you who enjoy the baseball, and smart and funny writing about said baseball, I implore you to read Fire Joe Morgan, which is dedicated to the proposition that ridiculous and stupid commentary about our national pastime must not go unchallenged, even or especially if it comes from the pens/mouths of the game's greatest players. Although most of the site's activity centers around the brilliant player/stupidy stupid commentator mentioned in the title, some vitriol is spared for the various other old uninformed codgers around the sports journalism world who pollute the airwaves/newspaper pages/screens with anti-logical moaning and groaning on a daily basis.

For example, yesterday's post castigates an Andy-Rooneyesque columnist who bemoans the preponderance of selfish home runs of some players, as opposed to selfless and charitable home runs of others:

You are stupid, sir. This is a stupid thing to say... To imply that A-Rod is less valuable [than Magglio Ordoñez] because he, I guess, hits more home runs, but has never exactly hit a home run that won a pennant for his team... I mean... that is just... farty. That is farty writing. That writing smells like farts.
Anyway, read and enjoy.

Meanwhile, in case you haven't had time to read the good work we've been doing over at The Cleaver, here are a few of my recent posts over there which you might enjoy:I'm planning on keeping up at least one post a day over there for the near future, so stop on by if you're in the neighborhood.

Finally, I've seen a lot of stories today about the death of Leona Helmsley, the "Queen of Mean." Now, call me old-fashioned, but I don't believe in speaking ill of the dead, so I'd like to suggest that from now on we just call her the "Queen of Misunderstood."