Friday, September 05, 2003

Mass-debating
The Demo hopefuls went at it last night, and although I didn’t watch the entire debate, I did learn a few things:

• Carol Moseley-Braun is related to neither Johnny Moseley nor Eva Braun.
• Bob Graham exists.
• Dennis Kucinich no habla Español. Really no habla.
• John Edwards reminds me of the annoying guy from my high school Student Council, and has the same haircut.
• Howard Dean could easily host “Sabado Gigante.”
• Before becoming a senator, John Kerry was a successful actor.
• Apparently not everybody in America speaks English. How did I miss that?


Speaking of which…

Fun with Foreigners, or "Wo ist Die Cable Car?"
C-baby and I were talking the other night about the people she meets at her job. She mentioned that whenever a European comes in she finds herself automatically referring to them, mentally or verbally, as German, even though many of them may actually be Austrian or Belgian or Swedish or whatever.

Me: Yeah, I don’t know what it is, you can just tell Germans walking down the street, the little glasses, the sandals, the spiky hair and paleness. I always wonder, what would it be like, I mean, can you imagine being like that your whole life—you know, being…

Her: German?

Me: Yeah…

Her: You’re wondering what it would be like to be German your whole life?

Me: Yeah, I mean… don’t they realize how weird they are?


I don’t know whether I was having a moment of xenophobia or xenophilia or just plain stupidity. You be the judge.